Monday, 4th Week in Ordinary Time—Year II
- Absalom, Shimei, and the demoniac harass and seek to cast out God’s servants and holy ones.
- David and Jesus both retreat to the Mount of Olives, but Jesus returns to Jerusalem to do “battle.”
- In their own ways, both David and Jesus saved Jerusalem and her people.
Petitions: Church & World Leaders, The Jewish People, Our Critics
Tuesday, 4th Week in Ordinary Time—Year II
- Those from the synagogue official’s house lack the Cushite’s messenger’s tact.
- A son’s death turns victory to mourning, a daughter’s resurrection turns mourning into joy.
- Absalom’s pride was his loss, Jairus and the woman’s humility and faith restored them.
Petitions: Humility, Sons and Daughters, Mourners
Wednesday, 4th Week in Ordinary Time—Year II
- God prohibited census-taking lest it prompt leaders to arrogantly spurn him.
- Loss of food, loss of power, and loss of health parallel Satan’s three desert temptations.
- Unlike the Nazoraeans, David accepts his prophet’s unwelcome message.
Petitions: Receptivity, Relatives, The Suffering
Thursday, 4th Week in Ordinary Time—Year II
- Be present to life in this a house we dwell until we leave, going the way of all flesh.
- Are we prepared to depart and to dust of this world from our feet?
- Whether we’re accepted or rejected, Jesus and David stress obedience to God’s will.
Petitions: Faithfulness, Presence of Mind, The Near Death
Friday, 4th Week in Ordinary Time—Year II
- Two Kings of Israel: David the Good King, Herod the Wicked
- Both sinned from adulterously taking other men’s wives.
- David repented and was forgiven, but Herod handed over John and Jesus without apology.
Petitions: Marriages, Political Leaders, Holy Leisure